Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Tri- City half marathon

Happy Tuesday! I hope everyone had a great weekend.  I spend mine completing one of my 2015 goals, which was running the Tri-city medical half marathon in Carlsbad, CA.  I set this goal on my 30th birthday and feel accomplished that I was able to follow through with it.  I created a running plan to follow, but fell a little short and did not prepare for this race as well as I had for prior races.  That being said I still set my time goal high, with a completion time of 2hrs.  
The morning of the race I felt relaxed and confident, the week prior I ate a clean diet, maintained good sleep habits and stretched my muscles daily.  These good habits really seemed to help we feel great on race day.   
Once I got into my "wave" group I was ready to go, the first 7/8 miles I cruised up and down the coasts rolling hills.  Once I finished mile 8 my plan was so slow slightly and speed up again for miles 11-13, that would have worked if I had not eaten an orange slice!  I had to slow my pace due to a major side cramp, I was really bummed but pushed along and finished the race in 2:02, 2 minutes slower then my goal.  I am very competitive with myself and was really bummed about my time and how I felt at the end of the race.  I am glad I completed the race and feel great about how strong my first half of the run was, now I am ready to beat that time and continue my weekly runs.  
Lesson learned here:  Don't eat the orange and over prepare. 
Until next time!
Carlsbad  beach
Start of the race


No comments:

Post a Comment