Thursday, August 14, 2014

Mommy community {guest post} By Suzanne Solomon

When Suzanne and Lydia first asked me to guest blog about my pregnancy I was a little nervous and wasn’t quit sure what I would write about. As you have read in my prior Q & A I have had a very uneventful and healthy pregnancy (yay!! currently 32 weeks) with no real issues except the occasional doughnut cravings.

Needless to say, at week 29 I received routine blood work results that diagnosed me with gestational diabetes. I was shocked! I felt great, maintained a healthy diet and was exercising regularly, and hadn’t put on much weight. I was so confused.
Scared and nervous, what had I done to cause this? Once I gained my composure and started educating myself on the disease; I soon realized it was nothing I did, per say, yet how my body was/is reacting to and breaking down of carbohydrates and sugars.

I met with my doctor to review a list of foods to eliminate from my diet. Juice, soda, fried food, sweets and FRUIT. Yes, fruit. My pregnancy had turned into a fruit maniac, eating about five to six servings a day. I thought we were supposed to eat 5 servings of fruits and veggies everyday. I was surprised to learn that fruits should be kept to a minimum, or thought of as a "treat” due to the high natural sugar content.  Who eat fruits as a “treat” unless its over ice cream?!  The conclusion is I was over indulging, I had to give up my daily banana, apple and pineapple, all which are the highest in natural sugars.
Overall, I haven't had to make too many changes in my diet. Due to an autoimmune disease triggered by food allergies, I already abstain from dairy, wheat, soy and artificial sweeteners. So, cutting out complex carbohydrates wasn’t too difficult.
I do have to test my blood four times a day and maintain a low carb, high protein, NO sugar diet. If I eat fruit it must consist of berries like blueberries or raspberries, which contain the least amount of sugar.  I am required to walk for at least 10 minutes after each meal with an additional 30 minutes of cardio a day. 
In all honesty, it has not been too bad. GD is not a death sentence; rather an opportunity to learn portion control and focus on eating super healthy. And its true, the less sugar you eat, the less you crave it.  Knowing I am doing this for my little man who is due October 8th has made the transition and process that much easier. And I plan on continuing this way of eating post birth.

baby on board 
My husband and I have been together for three years, health and fitness has always been a priority to us, and at times an obsession. I was very informed about the do’s and don’ts of pregnancy, but what I have learned the most in these 32 weeks is to go with the flow and listen to your body.  You may have your mindset and planned to do something one way but your little guy/or girl has something totally different planned out for you.  Pretty much the way life will be from now on.




No comments:

Post a Comment