Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Birthday thoughts {turning 30}

Is 50 the new 30 or 30 the new 20? Or was it 40 is the new 20? Honestly, I can’t keep up! In honor of my 30th birthday I thought I would write down a few thoughts.

Lets start with why 50 can’t just be 50 and 30 just be 30?  It may be a cliché but lets all be honest with ourselves and keep the numbers the way they are.  If  you keep yourself feeling good, then it doesn't matter what the number is.  Now that’s coming from a 30yr old…. Maybe when I’m 50 I will disagree with myself.  So far I have not hit an age that I was “freaking” out about, I have some friends that were scared of 25! Some 30 and a random 32! I don’t think It is the number they were afraid of, but more than likely where they were in their life at that time.  I loved being 25, it wasn’t the number that made that year great but the experiences I had that year.  I was more hesitant to turn 26 because I had had such a fabulous 2009. The “older” I get the more I don’t want to give up the prior year, I think I do a good job on making each year count and creating new experiences.  I see a birthday as a time to reflect on the past year, set goals for the next year and maybe even complete the goals from the prior year, but none the less move forward.  I definitely don’t want to move backward. 

Turning 30 did not scare me one bit, I feel like that is the age I should be.  In fact I tell my husband “I get better with age." He laughed, then he saw some photos from my late teen years, blonde hair, short hair, round face, red hair…. I’m sure you get it.  I feel like at 30, I have become comfortable enough with myself to know where my weakness may lie, definitely where my strengths are and where I still need a little work.  I also know what make up to wear, hair styles that look good and what types of clothes fit my body best (although, I can still make poor clothing choices). 
I have always had the thought process of no worries, it will all work out.  To back that up my high school senior quote was “hakuna matata” meaning no worries.  I did not realize at the time that I would try and live by that quote.  I feel blessed to have a supportive husband that has given me the opportunity to figure out what my passions are, find myself and make new career moves.  Needless to say he finds himself on his toes quite frequently and if you were to ask him what words scare him the most, he would likely say, “So I was thinking….” Knowing that following shortly after could be some very colorful thoughts.
I am happy to put 29 behind me and am curious about 30, I do not believe it is as harsh or horrible as people say.  In fact I feel like I have just hit the ground running, I have already signed up for my first half marathon (in my 30’s) in January and just this past month started a new career teaching Pilates, which I LOVE!!!

Lets pop some bubbly! 

Xo
Suz


No comments:

Post a Comment